Baked Barbecued Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 3 to 4 teaspoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Combine the garlic powder, onion salt and celery salt; rub over brisket. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; sprinkle with Liquid Smoke if desired. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight.
- 2. For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine 2 cups water, ketchup, onion, 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, celery seed, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool; cover and refrigerate.
- 3. Place the brisket in a Dutch oven; add remaining water and Worcestershire sauce to pan. Cover tightly. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours; drain.
- 4. Baste with sauce. Bake, uncovered, 1-2 hours longer or until meat is tender. Let stand for 20 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 10-12 servings.
4 ounces equals 239 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.