Baked Apple French Toast Recipe
This is a simply wonderful brunch recipe that tastes special and will have your guests asking for seconds. I serve it with whipped topping, maple syrup and additional nuts. Some people say it tastes good enough to be dessert! —Beverly Johnston, Rubicon, Wisconsin
- 20 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1. Arrange 10 slices of bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread with pie filling; top with remaining bread. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, place brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans and corn syrup. Sprinkle over French toast.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10 servings.
1 each equals 526 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 197 mg cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC