- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, bread crumbs, cinnamon and nutmeg. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into two 12-in. squares. Cut each sheet into nine 4-in. squares.
- Brush squares with egg. Place 1 teaspoon sugar mixture in the center of a square; top with 2 tablespoons chopped apple and 1 teaspoon sugar mixture. Gently bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry, crumb mixture and apples. Place on greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Brush remaining egg over dumplings; press streusel over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Place pans on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over dumplings. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Baked Apple Dumplings
"The apple needs to be chopped smaller & the icing makes it way sweet. Yummy without it"
"Really really good!"
"This recipe is excellent. I used Granny Smith apples and topped them with the streusel mix but did not use the icing. They came out great and were a big hit. I will make them again."
"Fabulous, even without the streusel and icing which I didn't have time to do. Can't wait until I can make it as written."
"Delish!!! This is a great recipe. Thanks reader7 and Travlnman02 for the warning to chop the apples into smaller pieces. This recipe is not too sweet, which was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't try the icing but served it with whipped cream. A keeper..."