Baked Apple Dumplings Recipe
These versatile dumplings can be made with peaches or mixed berries in place of apples, and drizzled with hot caramel sauce instead of icing. Add vanilla custard or ice cream, and it’s the perfect dessert.—Evangeline Bradford, Erlanger, Kentucky
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, bread crumbs, cinnamon and nutmeg. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into two 12-in. squares. Cut each sheet into nine 4-in. squares.
- 2. Brush squares with egg. Place 1 teaspoon sugar mixture in the center of a square; top with 2 tablespoons chopped apple and 1 teaspoon sugar mixture. Gently bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry, crumb mixture and apples. Place on greased baking sheets.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Brush remaining egg over dumplings; press streusel over tops.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Place pans on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over dumplings. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 dumpling equals 252 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Baked Apple Dumplings
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC