Baked Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, bread crumbs, cinnamon and nutmeg. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into two 12-in. squares. Cut each sheet into nine 4-in. squares.
- Brush squares with egg. Place 1 teaspoon sugar mixture in the center of a square; top with 2 tablespoons chopped apple and 1 teaspoon sugar mixture. Gently bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry, crumb mixture and apples. Place on greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Brush remaining egg over dumplings; press streusel over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Place pans on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over dumplings. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Baked Apple Dumplings
Sort By :
This recipe is excellent. I used Granny Smith apples and topped them with the streusel mix but did not use the icing. They came out great and were a big hit. I will make them again.
Fabulous, even without the streusel and icing which I didn't have time to do. Can't wait until I can make it as written.
Delish!!! This is a great recipe. Thanks reader7 and Travlnman02 for the warning to chop the apples into smaller pieces. This recipe is not too sweet, which was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't try the icing but served it with whipped cream. A keeper...
I've now made them two ways. First time following the resipe exact and they turned out very well but I noted the apples sunk as they cooked leaving an overinflated shell, but taste was great. Second time I did what someone else did and used a canned apple pie filling to see if I could reduce the shrinkage of the apples. It worked and left a fuller dumpling. Both taste great. just remember to chop everything small, apples and nuts. I used Granny Smith Apples in the recipe and served them warm with a scoop of Vanilla Ice-cream.
Very easy to put together and flavors come through well. Chopping the apples in smaller pieces insure that the dumplings do not pop open during baking, as happened the first time I tried these. Many compliments and requests to make again
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Dumplings >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baked Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- German Desserts >
- German Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Halloween Desserts >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >