Baked Alaskas with Tipsy Cherry Centers Recipe
When I need an outstanding dessert for a celebration, I turn purchased pound cake into individual Baked Alaskas. Guests beam when this eye-catching treat is set in front of them.—Diane Halferty, Corpus Christi, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + freezing Broil: 5 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves
- 3 teaspoons cherry brandy, divided
- 2 cups cherry ice cream, softened
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine preserves and 1 teaspoon brandy. Line four 6-oz. ramekins with plastic wrap; spoon ice cream into ramekins. Make an indentation in the center of each; fill with cherry mixture. Freeze until firm.
- 2. Split pound cake horizontally into thirds. Using a 6-oz. ramekin, cut pound cake into four circles (save remaining cake for another use). Brush circles with remaining brandy.
- 3. In a large heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 4. Place cake circles on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; top each with an inverted ice cream mold. Remove plastic. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of cakes.
- 5. Heat with a creme brulee torch or broil 8 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 518 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 91 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC