Baked Alaska Recipe
This is an impressive dessert for any occasion. For Thanksgiving, I make the pumpkin version of this Baked Alaska instead of pumpkin pie.
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons plus 5 teaspoon water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Spoon ice cream into a 1-1/2-qt. bowl lined with plastic wrap; freeze until firm. Line a greased 9-in. round baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. Place a clean kitchen towel over a wire rack; dust towel with confectioners’ sugar. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, 3 tablespoons water and vanilla. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture.
- 3. Gently spoon into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately run a knife around edge of pan; invert onto prepared wire rack. Gently peel off waxed paper; cool completely.
- 4. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar and water; beat on low speed with a portable mixer for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add rum extract; beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.
- 5. Place cake on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; unmold ice cream and place over cake. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream and cake, sealing it to foil; sprinkle with almonds. Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- 6. Just before serving, heat with a creme brulee torch or broil on lowest oven rack position for 3-5 minutes or until meringue is light browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 225 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC