- knife around edge of pan; invert onto prepared wire rack. Gently
- peel off waxed paper; cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar
- and remaining sugar and water; beat on low speed with a portable
- mixer for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture
- reaches 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add rum
- extract; beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 4
- Place cake on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; unmold ice cream
- and place over cake. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream and
- cake, sealing it to foil; sprinkle with almonds. Freeze until ready
- to serve, up to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, heat with a creme brulee torch or broil on
- lowest oven rack position for 3-5 minutes or until meringue is light
- browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Pumpkin Baked Alaska: Stir 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice into the softened vanilla ice cream, then transfer to plastic wrap-lined bowl. Proceed as recipe directs.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 225 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.