Baja Pork Tacos
“This delicious recipe is my copy-cat version of the most excellent Mexican food we ever had in Flagstaff, Arizona. The original recipe used beef instead of pork, but this comes mighty close to the same taste.” —Ariella Winn, Mesquite, Texas
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless pork sirloin roast (3 pounds)
- 5 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 24 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut roast in half; place in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small
- bowl, combine the chilies, taco seasoning and cumin; pour over pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat
- with two forks; return to the slow cooker and heat through. Spoon
- 1/4 cup onto each tortilla; top each with 2 tablespoons lettuce and
- 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tacos equals 326 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a