My mayo-free Baja Bean Salad uses bright, fresh flavors of lime, jalapeño and cilantro that really bring this colorful bean-medley salad come to life. —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
- 1 pound cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 cup julienned peeled jicama
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water to a boil. Add green beans; cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place beans in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, garbanzo beans, wax beans, jicama, red pepper, onions, jalapeno and green beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, vinegar, oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Baja Bean Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p209
Reviews for Baja Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review