Bahamian Peas & Rice Recipe
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pigeon peas, drained
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 3 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- 2. Add the onion, celery and green pepper to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Stir in the pigeon peas, ham, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 3. Add the water, coconut milk and cooked bacon; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove thyme sprigs. Yield: 14 servings.
3/4 cup equals 304 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Bahamian Peas & Rice
"Let me be the first to say that this recipe is not authentic or accurate. Bahamian (as in, from The Bahamas) Peas & Rice does not contain coconut milk and sorry, will never be made with brown rice. I was looking online to find a better link but all I see are imposter recipes that include coconut milk, chicken and any other number of odd ingredients. The real recipe is simple yet very tasty, savoury and never sweet. Try this one: http://www.recipesfrombahamas.com/files/BAHAMIAN_PEAS_N_RICE.PDF"
"Bland flavor says my husband. No need to make again."
"It is a rare occasion that I leave a poor review on any recipe, however I felt that it must be done. When I tasted this before serving it to my family, I immediately set it aside due to it's flavor (or rather, absolute lack thereof) and revolting mushy texture. I followed the recipe as written and I am sad to say that this went straight to the garbage can as it had no redeeming qualities. Very disappointed."