- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pigeon peas, drained
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 3 cups uncooked brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Add the onion, celery and green pepper to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Stir in the pigeon peas, ham, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the water, coconut milk and cooked bacon; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove thyme sprigs. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Bahamian Peas & Rice(2)
Sort By :
Bland flavor says my husband. No need to make again.
It is a rare occasion that I leave a poor review on any recipe, however I felt that it must be done. When I tasted this before serving it to my family, I immediately set it aside due to it's flavor (or rather, absolute lack thereof) and revolting mushy texture. I followed the recipe as written and I am sad to say that this went straight to the garbage can as it had no redeeming qualities. Very disappointed.