I worked in a health club where bagels arrived daily, so I experimented with leftovers. I wasn’t a bread pudding fan until I tried it with bagels. —Kathy Hawkins, Gurnee, Illinois
Featured In: 34 Best Mardi Gras Recipes
- 4 large eggs
- 3-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cinnamon-raisin bagels, cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1-1/3 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg until blended. Stir in cubed bagels and raisins. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; uncover and let stand while oven heats. Bake 40-45 minutes or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- For sauce, mix milk and vinegar; let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, combine remaining sauce ingredients; stir in milk mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Serve with warm bread pudding. Yield: 15 servings (1-1/3 cups sauce).
Originally published as Bagel Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce in Taste of Home November 2015, p84
Reviews for Bagel Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 10, 2017
"I skipped the sauce and added chopped walnuts and blueberries and thought this was quite good. I didn't have six cinnamon raisin bagels so used what I had (no onion) and added extra cinnamon."