Bacon-Wrapped Venison Recipe
"My husband, Ron, and I hunt and created this dish that's special enough for company," relates Phyllis Abrams from Alton, New York.
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds venison tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Rub tenderloin with 1-2 teaspoons of oil and the garlic. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over tenderloin and shake off excess. In a skillet, brown tenderloin on all sides in remaining oil. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender; remove and set aside.
- 2. Wrap bacon around tenderloin, securing the ends with toothpicks. Return to skillet. Cook over medium heat until bacon is crisp and a thermometer inserted into tenderloin reads 160°, turning frequently. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add parsley and reserved mushrooms; cook and stir until heated through. Discard toothpicks from tenderloin; serve with mushroom sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (6 ounces) equals 165 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC