Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos
Sunday is grill-out day for my husband, Cliff, and these zesty peppers are some of his specialties. We usually feature them at our annual Daytona 500 party. They disappear from the appetizer tray in no time.
12 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Grill: 35 min.
- 24 medium jalapeno peppers
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cut in half
- Make a lengthwise cut in each jalapeno, about 1/8 in. deep; remove
- seeds. Combine the sausage and cheese; stuff into jalapenos. Wrap
- each with a piece of bacon; secure with toothpicks.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place jalapenos
- over pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 17-20
- minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into
- filling reads 160°. Grill, covered, over direct heat 1-2 minutes
- longer or until bacon is crisp. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 252 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 675 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.