Bacon-Wrapped Scallops with Pineapple Quinoa Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 10 bacon strips
- 16 sea scallops (about 2 pounds), side muscles removed
- 1 cup drained canned pineapple tidbits
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add quinoa, salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat, removing eight of the strips when partially cooked but not crisp. Continue cooking remaining strips until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Finely chop crisp bacon strips. Cut remaining bacon strips lengthwise in half.
- 3. Wrap a halved bacon strip around each scallop; secure with a toothpick. Sprinkle with remaining pepper.
- 4. Wipe the pan clean, if necessary; heat over medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until scallops are firm and opaque.
- 5. Remove quinoa from heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in pineapple and chopped bacon. Serve with scallops. Yield: 4 servings.
4 scallops with 3/4 cup quinoa equals 468 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 1,364 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 48 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.