Bacon-Wrapped Filets with Scotched Mushrooms Recipe
- 2 bacon strips
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup Scotch whiskey
- 1/2 cup diet ginger ale
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1. In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper; wrap a strip of bacon around the sides of each steak and secure with toothpicks.
- 3. In a small ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray, cook steaks in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 8-12 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and thyme in 1 tablespoon butter and remaining oil until tender; remove from heat. Add whiskey, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in ginger ale, brown sugar, soy sauce and sage.
- 6. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in remaining butter. Serve with steaks. Yield: 2 servings.
1 filet with 1/3 cup mushroom mixture equals 581 calories, 37 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Reviews for Bacon-Wrapped Filets with Scotched Mushrooms
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.