- 2 bacon strips
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup Scotch whiskey
- 1/2 cup diet ginger ale
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper; wrap a strip of bacon around the sides of each steak and secure with toothpicks.
- In a small ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray, cook steaks in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side.
- Bake, uncovered, 8-12 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and thyme in 1 tablespoon butter and remaining oil until tender; remove from heat. Add whiskey, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in ginger ale, brown sugar, soy sauce and sage.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in remaining butter. Serve with steaks. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bacon-Wrapped Filets with Scotched Mushrooms
Sort By :
The mushroom sauce was one of the best things I have ever tasted. It wasn't too hard and the only thing that not everyone would have is the scotch. Great recipe!!
The recipe was good, not what I was expecting. I didn't realize how odd the ginger ale was in the recipe until I was making it, it was fizzy and didn't make for a thick sauce; which I prefer. Anything wrapped in bacon tends to be good. Wish I knew what contest this won.. I'd make it again with a more tender cut of beef (not sure which one I used).
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >