Bacon Veggie Chowder Recipe
When the weather gets chilly, we enjoy comfort foods like this hearty chowder. It's easy to prepare, and the aroma of it as it simmers makes my mouth water. —Sheena Hoffman, North Vancouver, British Columbia
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 small carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings.
- 2. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- 3. Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Bacon Veggie Chowder
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC