Bacon Vegetable Quiche Recipe
This recipe is so versatile! You can use Vidalia onions, green onions or leeks. Asparagus can take the place of broccoli, and you can use whatever fresh herbs or cheese you have on hand. I especially like it in spring, when I'm overwhelmed with an abundance of fresh greens. —Shannon Koene, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled tomato and basil feta cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Reduce oven to 375°.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms, broccoli and onion in oil until tender. Add spinach; cook until wilted.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir in vegetables, cheddar cheese and bacon. Pour into crust. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- 4. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 384 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 152 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC