I caught my fiance eating this meat loaf cold, right out of the fridge! He encouraged me to send in the recipe. If you have a deer hunter in the family, be sure to give this a try.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 bacon strips
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble venison and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with bacon strips.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Venison Meat Loaf in Country Extra November 2008, p51
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bacon-Topped Venison Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review