Bacon Tomato Spread
This creamy spread uses one of our favorite cuts of pork. It's really good with summer garden tomatoes and is a hit at picnics and other gatherings.—Patricia Staudt, Marble Rock, Iowa
14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- Crackers or raw vegetables
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, mustard and celery seed until blended.
- Stir in tomato and green pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least
- 1 hour. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper
- towels to drain. Discard drippings. Stir bacon into spread just
- before serving. Serve with crackers. Yield: about 1-3/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 132 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.