Bacon Tomato Chowder
This soup recipe is so warm and inviting for any occasion, but most of all, I like to cook it for just my husband and me.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- In the same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and nutmeg until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat; stir in
- cream. Heat through (do not boil). Add bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 586 calories, 51 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 1,453 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.