Bacon Tomato Casserole Recipe
This recipe from my mother is simple to make and can be a main dish or side dish. Feel free to experiment with a variety of flavored stewed tomatoes.— Mary McGair, Milwaukie, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute the green pepper, onion, salt, marjoram, thyme and pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles. Add half of the bacon.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with cheese and remaining bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 363 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,150 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC