- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the green pepper, onion, salt, marjoram, thyme and pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles. Add half of the bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with cheese and remaining bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Bacon Tomato Casserole
Sort By :
Really good, used red pepper istead of green. I also used my home canned staightup tomatoes. I'd make this again. Janet
Definitely a "Make again dinner" !!!
Wow. Totally expected to not like this recipe as I hate tomatoes but it turned out to be so delicious! Couple things I changed. I didn't add the pepper, gives my mom heart burn. I upped the onion to one whole medium onion(cooks down) and I added three garlic cloves and a large handful of chopped basil. I also added two teaspoons of sugar to sweeten the tomatoes. Marjoram wasn't added because I didn't have any. I knew this recipe was a keeper when my mother griped over the lack of leftovers and then requested it again a couple night later.
Excellent. Everyone including the four kiddos liked it. We substituted some sausage as we didn't have a enough bacon, and we doubled the recipe which worked great.
This was really good! I quickly made a small batch of my own stewed tomatoes with tomatoes from my garden. Since we have 6 kids, I doubled the amount of noodles, and it didn't effect the flavor. It was delicious, and still not enough! I didn't use the green peppers because I didn't have any, but it didn't hurt it.