Bacon-Swiss Tossed Salad
THIS RECIPE came from a cookbook compiled by the women of our church in my hometown of Chico, California. It's pretty and tasty. Best of all, it can be put together a couple of hours before serving. When it's time, a simple toss and it's ready.
-Cathee Bethel, Philomath, Oregon
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese, julienned
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, salt and pepper. In a
- large salad bowl, layer a third of the greens and a third of the
- mayonnaise mixture, onion, peas and cheese. Repeat the layers twice.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, add
- the bacon and toss. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 364 calories, 29 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 547 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.