Bacon-Swiss Penne Recipe
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 13 bacon strips
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon in batches over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 4 teaspoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- 3. Saute chicken in butter and drippings until no longer pink. Add onions; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheeses, peas, pepper, thyme and bacon.
- 4. Drain penne; add to chicken mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup equals 614 calories, 32 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.