- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread (20 inches)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 5 slices process Swiss cheese
- 5 bacon strips
- Cut bread into 1-in.-thick slices, leaving slices attached at bottom. In a bowl, combine the butter, onions and mustard; spread on both sides of each slice of bread. Cut each cheese slice diagonally into four triangles; place between the slices of bread. Cut bacon in half widthwise and then lengthwise; drape a piece over each slice.
- Place the loaf on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Bacon Swiss Bread
"Love this bread. I usually make it on holidays or when we have guests over. Make sure to to use heavy duty foil and double it, if not triple, to keep the bottom from getting to crisp!"
"I just made this recipe tonight and my husband actually went back for seconds, something he never does! I did not have any bacon so I left that off and I had to substitute the swiss for provolone that I had on hand. Even so, it still turned out delicious. Since I didn't have to cook the bacon I only put the bread in the oven long enough to melt the cheese."
"I have made this several times. Have had to give this recipe to my friends. Made it for wedding showers and Holidays."
"This is a favorite in our house that I usually only make once a year during the holidays."
"We make this bread for special occasions and we fight over the last remaining piece. Sometimes we use real swiss slices or cheddar."