Bacon Spinach Strata Recipe
Full of flavor, fast and filling, this make-ahead breakfast dish is pretty enough for any holiday brunch buffet. It disappears in minutes. And being able to prepare it the night before makes handling hectic mornings a snap! —Kris Kebisek, Brookfield, Wisconsin
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day old bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (1 pound) sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil until tender. Place half of the bread cubes and 1/2 cup Swiss cheese in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with bacon, cheddar cheese, mushroom mixture, spinach and remaining Swiss cheese and bread cubes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 382 calories, 22 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 204 mg cholesterol, 817 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Bacon Spinach Strata
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC