Bacon Spinach Muffins Recipe
“A new addition to my repertoire, these rustic muffins with just a touch of feta cheese are very popular already," says Rebecca Lindamood of Belfast, New York. "They make a fabulous accompaniment to soups and salads, are super-quick to whip up from scratch and so satisfying!”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1. In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg.
- 2. Combine sour cream and milk. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream mixture just until moistened. Fold in the bacon, feta cheese, onion and 1/4 cup spinach (save remaining spinach for another use).
- 3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC