Bacon Shrimp Creole Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, bacon, parsley, sugar, salt, thyme, curry powder, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup shrimp creole with 1/2 cup rice equals 292 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 814 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.