- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, bacon, parsley, sugar, salt, thyme, curry powder, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBacon Shrimp Creole
"Made this for the family. My teenage son's girlfriend (you know they NEVER eat at the boyfriend's house) asked for seconds. The rest of the family loved it too!"
"awesome!! I think it may need okra though"
"Made this with some large tiger prawns. We enjoyed it. Had a great flavor and the family voted it a keeper. The only thing I did different was use brown rice and stirred it in the finished dish instead of spooning the creole over the top."
"This has great flavor and just the right amount of heat. Awesome!"