Bacon Scones Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in onion, cheese and two-thirds of the bacon.
- 2. Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 7-1/2-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with remaining bacon. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 each: 242 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Bacon Scones
"I really liked this recipe! I did, however, think the onion was too strong-and I used less than it called for. Next time I'd either use a little green onion or just eliminate it. Still a keeper recipe though!"
"I make this recipe on a regular basis as my husbund loves them!! I do stir all the bacon in and usually add a little extra cheese. I also use onion powder cause we aren't big onion eaters. Definitely my hubby's favorite recipe!"
"I made this for a ladies' brunch and it was excellent! I used bacon bits and mixed them all into the batter, based on another reviewer's comments. So yummy!"
"These are very buttery and good. I used turkey bacon and they still tasted very savory. The bacon that you sprinkle on the top before baking doesn't really stay on so next time I might press it in or just mix all the bacon in rather than dividing it. Really a great recipe!"
"The scones were delicious and moist. I will definetely be doing these again. Thanks for sharing the recipe."
"This was very simple to make, as well as quick. My only change would be to grate the onion, as I wasn't fond of the bigger chunks."
"These have a wonderful onion-y buttery flavor. I might recommend a little bit more bacon for those bacon-lovers out there, but this is a wonderful recipe and definitely a keeper."
"These are great! Very rich and buttery. I modified the recipe by cooking the onion with the bacon. These are very good."
"I prepared this the night before and baked it fresh in the morning. They were a big hit at the office."