Bacon Potato Salad Recipe
"My family requests this potato salad whenever we go on picnics. It’s a well-seasoned salad that gets a slight smoky flavor from the addition of bacon," says Charlotte McDaniel of Williamsville, Illinois.
- 2-1/4 pounds red potatoes (about 8 medium)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 3. Drain potatoes. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into cubes. Place in a large bowl. Add the onion, vinegar, celery seed, salt, pepper, bacon and reserved drippings; toss gently. Cool to room temperature. Fold in mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 355 calories, 27 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC