"My family requests this potato salad whenever we go on picnics. It’s a well-seasoned salad that gets a slight smoky flavor from the addition of bacon," says Charlotte McDaniel of Williamsville, Illinois.
- 2-1/4 pounds red potatoes (about 8 medium)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Drain potatoes. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into cubes. Place in a large bowl. Add the onion, vinegar, celery seed, salt, pepper, bacon and reserved drippings; toss gently. Cool to room temperature. Fold in mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bacon Potato Salad in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008, p46
Reviews for Bacon Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review