Bacon Potato Puff Recipe
If you're looking for ways to use up bacon, be sure to try this hearty and satisfying side dish. This company-worthy potato dish has down-home goodness.—DeEtta Rasmussen, Fort Madison, Iowa
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups warm mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings. In a bowl, beat egg yolks until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in onion, mustard and pepper. Place potatoes in a bowl; fold in egg yolk mixture. set aside 2 tablespoons bacon. Fold cheese, parsley and remaining bacon into potatoes. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into potato mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until set and edges are golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 175 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC