Bacon Potato Puff Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups warm mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings. In a bowl, beat egg yolks until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in onion, mustard and pepper. Place potatoes in a bowl; fold in egg yolk mixture. set aside 2 tablespoons bacon. Fold cheese, parsley and remaining bacon into potatoes. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into potato mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until set and edges are golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 175 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein .
Reviews for Bacon Potato Puff
"JeniSchultz: I am very surprised this turned out for you. The eggs are beaten separately because you need the siffly beaten egg whites to provide lift and lightness. The same thing you beat egg whites to create a souffle. Beating the yolks help provide creaminess and lightness. The "simplification" you did was simply added beaten eggs and altered the entire dish and how it achieves its "puff" I am very surprised you did not rate it badly and blame it on the recipe."
"I had simplified the recipe by beating the eggs (yolk and white) together before mixing with potatoes. I also decreased the amount of eggs to 2, and increased the amount of cheese to 1 cup. It turned out great! Jeni S."
"Usually anything with bacon in it is good, not this dish. I threw it away."