Bacon Potato Chowder Recipe
This is a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs potato soup. In place of the bacon, you can substitute cubed cooked ham.
- 12 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, sliced
- 12 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Saute onions and celery in the drippings until tender; drain.
- 2. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; set potatoes aside. In the same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat; add onion mixture, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 386 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 782 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Bacon Potato Chowder
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC