- 12 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, sliced
- 12 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Saute onions and celery in the drippings until tender; drain.
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; set potatoes aside. In the same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add onion mixture, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Bacon Potato Chowder(6)
Sort By :
This is very similar to my own recipe. I use cream rather than milk and much less (I like mine thick). I also add some rosemary, sage, thyme and a garlic clove. Sometimes I put some sharp cheddar cheese directly in the soup. The cream keeps it fluid and also prevents it from sticking to the pan. Alternatively, you can also try adding a country gravy packet or some cabbage or a can of cream of mushroom for different flavor profiles. This is a very good base recipe.
I had high hopes for this recipe and it didn't even come close to tasting good. There was no flavor it tasted like it was missing something really big. I had to put cheese and extra salt and pepper and it still wasn't great. Definitely won't be making this again.
very good! this is the first potato soup recipe that i've made that actually came out good!
I made this for a church party last night and everyone loved it.
I love this recipe. I did add one can of cream of chicken soup, one can of carrots, one can of corn & a couple dashes of nutmeg! This is honestly the best tasting potato & bacon chowder I've ever had!