Bacon Onion Turnovers Recipe
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divided into 30 pieces. Roll each into a 4-in. circle. Combine bacon and onion; place about 2 teaspoons on one side of each circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Brush with egg. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 209 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Bacon Onion Turnovers
"I used my bread machine for the dough; with only 1 package of yeast. It rose just fine, but did take a bit longer than the recipe stated - one complete dough cycle. I'm not sure the dough needs all that butter; it did not taste much richer than my regular bread dough which has 2 Tbsps of oil.The turnovers tasted good, but were quite dry. We tried various condiments for dipping and found sweet/spicy bar-b-que sauce to be the best. Spicy brown mustard was too over-powering."
"one of the first recipies I tried when I discovered Taste of Home Mag. and still a favorite. good for quick breakfast on the run, snack or brunch, late nite. easy and delicious. make often, keep in freezer for quick snacks."
"This is a family favorite! Easy to make and enjoyed by all! Love it."