- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in warm
- water. Add the bacon, onions, oatmeal mixture, egg, whole wheat
- flour, 3-1/2 cups bread flour and remaining brown sugar. Beat until
- smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough
- will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 36
- pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at
- 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute
- before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bun equals 140 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.