- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm milk. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add butter, 1 teaspoon salt and remaining milk. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. Add pepper and remaining salt. Cool completely. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead bacon mixture into dough.
- Roll dough into a 14-in. square. Brush with egg; sprinkle with coarse salt. Cut dough in half lengthwise and in thirds widthwise. Cut each section into six strips. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Bacon Onion Breadsticks in Best of Country Breads 2000, p99
Reviews for Bacon Onion Breadsticks(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review