Bacon Onion Asparagus
This side dish gets its tang from vinegar and its crunch from toasted sesame seeds. This is a wonderful way to dress up that seasonal favorite.—Sheila Elliott, Bear, Delaware
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Place the asparagus in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle
- with oil; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons
- drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Remove from the
- heat; stir in the vinegar, bacon and remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer the asparagus to a large shallow bowl; top with warm bacon
- dressing and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield:
- 4 servings.