Bacon Onion Asparagus Recipe
This side dish gets its tang from vinegar and its crunch from toasted sesame seeds. This is a wonderful way to dress up that seasonal favorite.—Sheila Elliott, Bear, Delaware
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1. Place the asparagus in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the vinegar, bacon and remaining salt and pepper.
- 3. Transfer the asparagus to a large shallow bowl; top with warm bacon dressing and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC