Bacon-Mushroom Brussels Sprouts Recipe
I discovered this recipe while watching a cooking show some years ago. The first time I served it, my guests raved and were surprised when I told them it was brussels sprouts. —Tangee Zayas-Thaler Silver Lake, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:2-3 servings
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place brussels sprouts in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm.
- 2. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion and mushrooms in the drippings for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Add the broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until broth is reduced by half. Stir in brussels sprouts and bacon. Yield: 2-3 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 166 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC