Bacon-Mushroom Brussels Sprouts
I discovered this recipe while watching a cooking show some years ago. The first time I served it, my guests raved and were surprised when I told them it was brussels sprouts. —Tangee Zayas-Thaler
Silver Lake, Ohio
2-3 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place brussels sprouts in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to
- paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion
- and mushrooms in the drippings for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until broth is reduced by half. Stir
- in brussels sprouts and bacon. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 166 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.