- 6 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute jalapeno in reserved drippings. Add milk and cheeses to pan; cook and stir until blended. Stir in the onion powder, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce.
- Drain macaroni; add to pan with the onions and cooked bacon. Mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Bacon Mac & Cheese
"By far the best mac n cheese I've ever made and i'm a mac n cheese snobb. The only things I did different was add more jalapeno and one habanero (I like it really spicy) and I ommitted the green onion (simply because I didn't have any) and the recipe came out to die for. I will definitely be making this again soon!"
"for added color add some broccoli. Good way to sneak it in under the kids nose"
"Very good. Added panko topping"
"My family gives this one a big thumbs up! The bacon really brings it a step up. Great side dish for any meat. JudyLA"
"Attn: luvmac -- when you buy shredded cheese if you look at the bags - an 8 oz bag = 2 cups."