Bacon Herb Zucchini
The herbs in this dish really complement a Thanksgiving turkey. The recipe can easily be doubled to serve a larger group.
Betty Korte, Collinsville, Illinois
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, savory and rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels; drain, reserving 1
- tablespoon drippings.
- In the drippings, saute celery and onion until tender. Add the
- tomatoes, parsley, oregano, savory, sage, salt, pepper and zucchini.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 7-10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with
- Parmesan cheese and bacon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 90 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.