Bacon Corn Soup Recipe
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 8 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add water, potatoes and bouillon; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth. Add the flour mixture, cream, corn and remaining milk to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and bacon. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup: 331 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Bacon Corn Soup
"Major hit. In my pressure cooker this took only 15 mns from start to finish. I added a small amount of Velveeta cheese and spike seasoning."
"This was a HUGE hit in our house. We made a few changes, I used my emulsifier and half blended the potatoes before adding the milk, just to thicken it up a bit more. We also used smoked gouda in place of Velveeta because we would rather use real cheese. Will definitely make this one again! Served it with some drop biscuits for a wonderful warm up dish on a cold autumn night."
"Was very good, I too used shredded cheddar cheese. I also used 3 cups of milk rather than the cup of half n' half to save on calories and replaced the flour with 1/8 cup of cornstarch as well as used canned corn rather than frozen. My family ate it up, and I especially liked that I was able to pull this soup together with ingredients that I had in the pantry and fridge. Is a keeper for sure."
"I've made this soup several times, it's WONDERFUL!! The only change I made is that I used grated cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta. I highly recommend it!"
"very good! i used cheddar cheese and it worked well. deff. one that i will make again!"