Our church eats together every Sunday, and that's where I got this recipe. Farmland surrounds us, so this recipe with its flavorful vegetables represents our area well.
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 8 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add water, potatoes and bouillon; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth. Add the flour mixture, cream, corn and remaining milk to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and bacon. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Bacon Corn Soup in Country Extra January 1999, p51
Reviews for Bacon Corn Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review