"Central Illinois is one of the major corn and pork producing areas of the country, so why wouldn't this bread be a favorite here? asks Carol Roper of Litchfield, Illinois. She dresses up a basic batter with corn, onion and cheese, then tops it with poppy seeds and bacon.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients just until blended. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon, poppy seeds if desired and paprika. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Bacon Corn Bread in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p34
Reviews for Bacon Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2010
"I made this to serve with chili, it was so good! I always keep pre-cooked bacon in my freezer, so it was very easy to make. Also very inexpensive. Leftovers just as good the next day."