Bacon Collard Greens
A staple of Southern cuisine, these collard greens are tossed with smoked bacon for one incredible side dish —Marsha Ankeney, Niceville, Florida
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 2 pounds collard greens
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Trim thick stems from collard greens; coarsely chop leaves. In a
- Dutch oven, saute bacon for 3 minutes. Add onion; cook 8-9 minutes
- longer or until onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Add greens; cook
- just until wilted.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until greens are tender.
- Yield: 9 servings.