“This is such an excellent recipe and one of my very best side dishes,” writes Karen Grant from her home in Tulare, California. “It looks lovely and is much easier to make than it might sound.”
- 4 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 medium yellow summer squash
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add squash; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Invert shells on paper towel.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chilies, 1/2 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons bacon, pepper and remaining salt. Drain reserved squash pulp and stir into bacon mixture. Spoon into shells.
- Place in two lightly greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over squash. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bacon-Chili Stuffed Squash in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p63
Reviews for Bacon-Chili Stuffed Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 1, 2011
"I loved this recipe, I served it for a family dinner and everyone liked it."
Reviewed Nov. 13, 2010
"I've made this several times, for several people and it is always a hit. I do add more bacon than it calls for - but then I think bacon is it's own food group"