- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2/3 pound ground veal
- 2/3 pound ground pork
- 24 cubes cheddar cheese (1/2-inch each)
- 8 cooked bacon strips, cut into thirds
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 submarine buns, split and toasted
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Crumble the meats over the mixture and mix well; divide into 24 portions.
- Wrap each cheese cube with a cut bacon strip. Shape one portion of meat mixture around each bacon-wrapped cheese cube. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain on paper towels. Serve on lettuce-lined buns with barbecue sauce. Yield: 8 sandwiches.
Originally published as Bacon Cheeseburger Meatball Subs in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p71
Reviews for Bacon Cheeseburger Meatball Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2016
"These meatballs have great flavor. I had to put mine over rice since I do not like the gluten free bread and it was still very filling. Too many leftovers though"